The Media and The Establishment continue to push gun control with statistics that are very dishonest. Read on if you’re interested in the inconvenient truth.
Back in 2016, a gentleman named Thomas Austin took the time to put together some very eye opening statistics about gun deaths. This is the truth they don’t want you to see authored by Mr. Austin. Trust me, it’s worth the few minute read.
“I spent some time compiling information relating to gun control. My hope in this is to show you guys our perspective (as a legal gun owner). This is data from the FBI and CDC. I started with an existing report and broke down the numbers by state and city best I could. Reported numbers vary by source just a little.
There are ~30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms. What is never shown in the media, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective.
• 65% of those deaths are by suicide which would never be prevented by gun laws. These people can just as easily drink a bottle of Tylenol or jump off a building. Japan and other countries with 1% or less firearm ownership still have significant suicide rates. While these gun related suicides are tragic, I feel these people are not looking to cry for help they are serious and will find a way.
• 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified. I know some of you will take issue with the “justified” statement but that’s the data I had. The details are for another discussion topic.
• 3% are accidental discharge deaths. These are the most tragic in my opinion. The parents or owner of the firearm should be held responsible the same as if they pulled the trigger. It is your responsibility to ensure firearms are kept safe. The topic here is gun control so let’s not get down a rabbit hole on this one just yet. Let’s keep this discussion on the criminal activity.
• 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – aka: gun violence
So technically, “gun violence” is not 30,000 annually, but drops to just 5,100 or 102 deaths per state per year. Are 5,100 deaths per year horrific? All death is sad and especially so when it is in the commission of a crime but that is the nature of crime. Robbery, death, rape, assault all is done by criminals and thinking that criminals will obey laws is ludicrous. That’s why they are criminals.
So let’s look deeper into the criminal aspect of guns. How are those deaths spanned across the nation?
• 480 gun related homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
• 344 gun related homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore
• 332 gun related homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit
• 119 gun related homicides (2.3%) were in D.C.
So 1,275 out of 5,100 or roughly 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have very strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause in these cities.
This leaves 3,825 for the rest of the entire nation. This averages to 75 deaths per state. That is an average but some States have much higher rates than others. For example, California had 1,169.
So around 50% of the gun crime happens in California and the 4 cities above. The rest of the nation makes up the other 50%.
All the cities and states I have called out above have similar legislation in place to what has been proposed as the nationwide “solution” to gun violence. The remaining states have 2,655 deaths which leaves us with an average of 55 deaths per year per state. Most of these states have relaxed gun laws and high legal gun ownership. Is 55 gun crime related deaths per year per state an acceptable number?
Let’s compare to other deaths each year?
• 40,000+ die from a drug overdose, exceeding all gun deaths.
• 36,000 people die per year from the flu, also exceeding all gun deaths
• 34,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities also exceeding gun all deaths
• 200,000+ people die each year (and growing) from preventable medical errors.
You are safer in the worst neighborhood of Chicago than when you are in a hospital statistically speaking.
So the next time someone tries to tell you that gun control is about saving lives, look at these facts and think about the problem you are trying to solve. When it comes to “gun control,” the important word is “control,” not “gun.”
Now, here is icing on the cake.
In contrast the lowest number of times per year a firearm was used in self defense was 67,740 times. This is double the gun death rate even if you include all situations including suicide. This number came from the LA times as well as The NY Times. The article was specifically calling BS on the NRA’s 2.5 million times per year. This 67,000 number is the number the La times came up with to MINIMIZE the benefit guns have in our society AND it is still double the death rate. It is also worth noting that a portion of the self defense number is increasing the death number because a civilian shot an attacker. The verbiage in one article referencing The NY Times piece said “in reality guns are ONLY used in self defense 67,740 times per year”. That is 67,000 people who were not victims of a crime because they were able to defend themselves. But in the same breath they show outrage over the (half as many) gun deaths broken out above. In the vast majority of self defense scenarios, no shots were required to be discharged in order to stop the threat.”
By Thomas Austin
Copyright 2020 – All Rights Reserved, Safe Family Defense LLC