Being a first time gun owner for defense purposes can be a bit daunting for some. Read on for a brief idea on what to do next.
Covid-19 has caused a surge in gun sales for the simple purpose of self defense. We have experienced a significant increase in calls from new gun owners looking for training on what steps to take next. Here are some recommendations.
Safety is usually what is first and foremost on the minds of first time gun owners that call.
- Find a firearms instructor to teach you the dos and don’ts.
- Learn and practice the four cardinal rules 100% of the time.
- Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction
- Always treat your gun as if it is loaded
- Always properly identify your target and what’s behind it
- Always keep your finger out off the trigger guard until ready to shoot
- Understand that gun accidents happen because of two things and two things only – Ignorance and Carelessness. Get good training and always practice what you’ve learned.
- Spend the money on some quality training before you put rounds downrange if you are new to shooting. Getting training after the fact will require twice as much in order to “train out” all of the bad habits you have engrained into your brain by doing things out of order. The great Stephen Covey said, “Put first things first.” It applies here.
- It doesn’t require as much training as you might think. Maybe a few hours at best.
- Safe Family Defense offers personal training by the hour. It is amazing how much we are able to squeeze into two or three hours. Moreover, students leave feeling quite accomplished and completely at ease while they carry their targets home with 3 and 4 inch shot groupings on them.
- Invest in training you can take right in your own home. We offer excellent DVD courses in our store, such as classes like Complete Home Defense, Handgun Shooting Drills, Fighting From Cover, and others.
- Consider investing in an online training resource like Guardian Nation. I can not say enough about how excellent of a resource Guardian Nation is. I’m an instructor and I’m even a member.
Being a new gun owner opens up a whole world of liability you need to manage. The good thing is, it’s easy to do.
- Never think simply hiding a gun will keep it out of unauthorized hands – children or adults.
- One of the number one things burglars are after is guns; therefore, don’t let them find yours. Invest in an adequate safe to store your gun(s) if they’re not on your person.
- Do not think the car is a good place to store your gun.
Lastly, it is extremely important you understand the law. Not doing so could land you behind bars for a very long time with a charge of murder and an empty bank account. One of the quickest and easiest ways to learn self defense law is through Andrew Branca’s book The Law of Self Defense. It is a must read.
The things listed in this article are just scratching the surface. There is so much more you can learn to make this an enjoyable pastime that also has the power to defend your life. Just remember, it also has the power to take it away just as easily. We’d be honored if you chose Safe Family Defense for your firearms training or for your CWP class needs. If you read our reviews, you will see how much passion goes into what we do here.
Safe Family Defense has resumed training operations.
Our next public CWP Class is June 27th. Why don’t you plan to join us?
We are offering Personal Training sessions Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6pm – 8pm. Call us to reserve your spot!
Private Group CWP Classes are huge right now.
Organize a Private Group and get your CWP class free!
Contact us for details.
Joe Shahoud is the owner and lead instructor at Safe Family Defense LLC, a firearms training academy that serves the greater Columbia, SC area specializing in pistol, concealed weapons permits, and general education in personal safety.
Copyright 2020 – All Rights Reserved, Safe Family Defense LLC